Monday, January 30, 2012

One by one I'm going to make up for all my mistakes. I'm just trying to be a better person.


Quote courtesy of My Name Is Earl and this website

Wow, two posts in one day? Yes! (Two of my classes were cancelled, so I've celebrated by catching up on TV, junk food, and the blog.)


The entire point of this post is actually my way of trying to make the world a better place. Most people don't realize it's so easy to take small steps towards helping others. It's as easy as recycling rather than throwing things away. I'm not just talking about throwing stuff in the bin on your driveway-there are tons of ways to recycle or donate things you may not have considered before.

-If you are getting a significant amount of hair cut off (at least 8 inches), consider donating to one of the countless charities that vows to turn it into a wig for cancer patients. I've heard rumors that Locks of Love is a 'scam', but since I haven't done the research myself, I'll just tell you other charities of this type do exist like Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Wigs For Kids.

-"Friend" animal shelters and rescues near you on Facebook. In addition to being able to share photos of animals in need of homes (networking is a free, useful way to help charities), some rescues will advertise bake sales, ask for donated items, and, for example, the shelter where I got my foster dog Link asks for transport help just about every Saturday. These transports are necessary to save many animals and are generally broken up into several legs. It's entirely possible there will be a transport right along a route you planned to take anyways. If you are aware of the transport, are already going in that direction, and have room in your car, you have no excuse not to multitask. That's all it takes to save a life. *Or, if you can't find a local rescue in need, check out Freedom Train Transports to help in a nationwide organization dedicated to transporting animals.

-Donate time to any local charity. You can walk dogs at a shelter; take flattering pictures to help animals get adopted; spend time with children via Big Brothers Big Sisters; help build houses through Habitat for Humanity; volunteer at a school (this is probably best if you know a child in the school, lest you look like a pedophile); offer to create/maintain a website, blog, or Facebook account for a local charity-many volunteer run programs have little time for things like this, but in this day and age, online advertising and networking is an essential tool for businesses and charities alike; etc.

-Donate things you no longer need! Donate old clothes, toys, or furniture to you local Salvation Army; old clothing, (not old) food, or toys can be donated to your local homeless shelter; local animal rescues and shelters are usually in need of items like blankets, towels, food, treats, toys, beds, kitty litter, laundry detergent, bleach, dishes, etc.; donate school supplies to local schools; my parents even donated an old lawn mower to a local repair shop-the mechanic could use any parts he could salvage, and it was cheaper for us just to buy a new mower than repair ours anyways; etc.

-Carpool, walk, bike, or take public transit when possible. It's good for the Earth, your wallet, and likely your stress level (at least if you have as much road rage as I do).

-Stimulate your local economy by supporting small businesses when possible. For example I buy my dog food at a local pet store. The workers are knowledgeable and very nice and I trust their products (Petco and Petsmart don't even sell the same types of food). If I buy in bulk it costs the same as the lower quality foods sold in the franchises and I don't have to use the gas to drive to the store as often. (Besides, who wouldn't want to carry 40 lbs of dog food upstairs to their apartment? My legs get a great workout!)

-Donate blood or plasma. It's not as scary as it sounds, and it really does save lives. In addition you get you cholesterol level, blood pressure levels, and blood type checked (awesome!) and can often get free things like shirts and movie tickets.

-Donate bone marrow or stem cells. I've heard this one is more painful, but I've never done it so I don't know. If you're really daring you could even donate a kidney. Personally, I've already had two kidney infections - I think I need to keep both of mine because I never know when one could go on strike again. But that's just me.

-Put quarters in other people's meters-you never know, they could really need a pick-me-up. Unless of course you want to donate to the city, then let them get a ticket. Whatever pleases you. Optimism lets you look at both nice ways.




“There is no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson


I can't tell you how many people are involved with the dogs I've seen rescued. Between the people who take the pictures and network on Facebook, the ones who coordinate transport and veterinary care, the ones who actually transport the dogs, the people who donate the food and sponsor money, and the fosters who donate their homes, rescue is a collaborative effort. Each and every person donated something to the effort, and in return, at least one life was saved. Truly as communicative and charitable beings, we are capable of anything.


 Let's save the world - starting today,
Kayla, Lana, and Link


No comments:

Post a Comment