Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Oh, have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard.


Yes, I am replacing my usual picture with a video. Quote is from Family Guy, and you can enjoy it with me. (Is it stuck in your head? U mad bro?)


So have you heard the news? That Chick-Fil-A is no longer supporting anti-gay groups that promote violence and hatred? I heard. I'm pretty darn pleased. Aaaaaannnnnnddddddd...



I've spent (wasted) my free time today watching the Chick-Fil-A Facebook page figuratively explode. It's hilarious. There were more than a few very nasty people on Facebook. I even saw the actual quote: "Gay marriage will NEVER be a reality in all states either way." You know what? I don't believe that. I believe, in the end, people are more good than bad, that they have more love than hate. Eventually, I have FAITH that gays will have the same rights as straight people. Civil rights has always been a tough battle, but always worth it. As a woman, I can attest to that. I am SO grateful to my long gone relatives who fought to make sure I could work, go to school, vote, etc. There were many strong women in my family, who went to college when it was still uncommon, and who excelled in careers previously held mostly by men. I have (mostly) equal rights, and while I'm working to protect those, which for some reason are in danger thanks to a certain political party which shall remain unnamed, I work to give others the same rights. Do you love someone? Then be with them! Do you pay all the same taxes I do? Then you should get the same rights and benefits! 
 
Now, according to some of those people on Facebook, I am both perverted and not a "real" Christian.

You hear that, God? Better watch out, I'm comin'!

In all seriousness though, it is a bit disheartening to be a liberal living in the Southern United States. I love so many things about my Southern culture, but I do NOT like being lumped and stereotyped with all the "bible thumpers" and the "right wing nutjobs". I do, however, like be VINDICATED, I AM SELFISH, I AM WRONG, I AM RIGHT, I SWEAR I'M RIGHT, I SWEAR I KNEW IT ALL ALONG!!!!!

ahem. I apologize. I'm done. This song is just my victory tune for today. I have hope that when in the hands of the people, politics can CHANGE things. I feel like our boycott helped, and it feels incredible. The world is slowly changing. Here's to hoping it's going in the right direction.

Cheers!

Kayla and Lana

P.S. Stayed tuned, I'm supposed to get another temporary foster soon. I am officially designating my apartment as a sort of halfway house for dogs going through heart worm treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment